Saturday, 25 August 2007

domestic notes

There is a very interesting review, in the current LRB, of a new book about Virginia Woolf's difficult relations with servants most particularly with Nellie Boxall who cooked for the Woolfs for eighteen years.

In other developments, a couple of weeks ago in our life drawing class I did a drawing I liked and thought could perhaps be worked on further. As Henry Moore was once kind enough to explain, everyone flukes upon a good drawing occasionally. But when I brought it home I left it on the floor, and a cat rolled on it during the night and smudged all the charcoal.

There was a shouting match two doors down last night. The police came. In the daylight the house looked the same as usual. I had breakfast sitting on the patio this morning and watched the woman across the street apparently trying to break in through her own living room window. At first I thought she was washing the glass, since that's usually what she's doing. The house on the corner has a spotlit statue of the Virgin Mary holding Jesus placed in its front window, and the car parked in the drive has a bumper sticker which reads "Protecting unborn babies." We will have a new neighbour shortly as the horrible little flat behind our house has been sold after being empty for six months. I hope the new occupant likes cats and also chooks, since Dorian's building a chookhouse a few metres from her bedroom window. Too bad if she doesn't. She's 22, according to the previous owners, so I don't expect her to put up an awful lot of resistance.

Our other neighbours are called John and Peter (right, rear), Annika (right, front), and Donger (left). Donger is a plumber. We met formally one evening when the electricity was off in the street everywhere except my house and I was standing in my driveway looking for Baz. I saw Mr D. in his front yard and asked if he'd like an extension cord, which he amicably refused. He then asked me if I needed any help, and I said no thanks, I'm just looking for my cat. He then said "Have you looked under the wheels of my car?" - and then he laughed - and then he realised that this probably wasn't the right occasion for producing that particular joke he'd been wanting to tell for ages. I haven't seen him since but I have heard him playing Hot August Night and Living In The 70s on the weekends, so he's still in there.








10 comments:

Ampersand Duck said...

Bad Donger. Naughty Donger.

Good luck with the new neighbour! How interesting -- obviously bought by the parents to store said 22-yo?

Drewzel said...

Donger sounds like a gem! He loves cats really, just doesn't like missing an opportunity for a crap joke. My suburb is truly Donger-ville.

PS. Consider yourself tagged by the way.

Drewzel said...

Oh, I also mean to say- CHOOKS! YAY!!!!!

Mindy said...

Are you going to name them? Madge and Beryl are our chooks.

ThirdCat said...

I once had a bantam hen named after me 'because it was very clever for a chook'.

peacay said...

"Protecting unborn babies." with carbon monoxide, it would seem.

Meredith said...

I think Donger is my boyfriend from year 8.

lucy tartan said...

The chooks will be Dorian's & it's his privilege to name them, so I'm sure they'll get excellent names.

Thanks for the tag Drewzel. I'll get onto it soon.

lucy tartan said...

And I hope Donger likes cats really, because they all go under his house to empty their bowels.

Anonymous said...

wow gold
wow gold
wow power leveling
wow power leveling
wow power leveling
wow powerleveling
wow powerleveling
wow powerleveling
World Of Warcraft power leveling
World Of Warcraft power leveling
World Of Warcraft power leveling
World Of Warcraft powerleveling
World Of Warcraft powerleveling
World Of Warcraft powerleveling
wow power level
wow power level
wow power level
cheap wow power leveling
cheap wow power leveling
cheap wow powerleveling
cheap wow powerleveling
codeheart article
Warcraft Gold
World of Warcraft Gold
cheap wow gold