Saturday 21 July 2018

Recovering

I just got out of a very hot bath so all the veins on my arms, legs, hands and feet are sticking out like big bluish sandworm castings. Heating myself up provides some relief from the symptoms of whatever this disease is that I am harbouring. I mean really, Viral Arthritis, wtf? Have you ever heard of such a thing? I googled it and the very first result said something like 'can be a sign that you have HIV', so I googled no further. It's pretty weird though. Lassitude and aching all over, but no respiratory symptoms and no fever. No fever means no natural internal heat-sterilisation is going on, so as well as the comfort provided by raising my inner core temperature in saunas and hot baths I'm hoping it might help kill some germs. To counteract the skin-parching effect of the hot water I put a cup of oats and a tablespoon of honey in the bath so I guess I have been bathing in a cauldron of workhouse porridge, technically. 

I am a little better but on the whole, still feeling mighty crappy. I did go to work on Friday but didn't last the whole day. The undisputed highlight of the time I took off work was the viewing on Youtube of a 1974 British television movie called Penda's Fen. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.



As I said, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED but I understand you will not actually watch it for all that. Watch this 37-second clip, at least. I shot it on my phone, pointing it at my laptop screen, and the muffled sounds like a large ungulate being suffocated, well, that is me trying unsuccessfully not to laugh. Anyway, all that interference, and yet, still, the considerable greatness of Penda's Fen shines through utterly unimpeded.



I sat down intending to write about something else entirely but Penda's Fen deserves not to be treated as just a whistlestop on another confused and puzzling verbal journey so I will leave my other thing for another day, and let Penda's Fen have its own moment in this tiny speck of limelight.

Penda's Fen!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

C said...

How stunning is it! "Child be strange!" Remnants of an old faith whispered through a melodrama. Huge fan. Something should be written about it.