Sunday 11 August 2019

Snow

On the road to Ballarat today I said to Leonard Look there's snow under the trees! There was: biggish deposits that looked remarkably fresh.

It shook us out of our trances. I pulled off the freeway at the first exit and we stopped on the wet gravelly shoulder of one of those country intersections where old roads abut newer ones. There were at least twenty other cars excitedly abandoned there. We got out, thrilled to the bone, and scrambled across sodden and watery grass and red mud and got up on a hill covered in fresh light snow which was already half-trodden into grey slush.

Crossing the slippery ditch between the road and the hill, Lenny stepped right into a stream of icy water. I saw his whole foot go in right up to the ankle. Another adult nearby laughed a little, as I might also have done, I'm not really sure: the immediate idea being to reassure the little boy and show him it's all right and nothing to worry about.

And yet he was deeply worried.  Mum I don't like my foot being wet, can we go now, he said in a very small voice. He then lit up with happiness, and played with the amazing snow, made snowballs and threw them at me, poked it and kicked it; but he continued to talk about his wet foot and how he wanted to leave while we played and walked up and down. In the car I got his shoes and socks off and wrapped his feet in a rug. That's only the second time in my life I've seen snow, he remarked to me as we drove on, and then he told me, babbling with happiness, about snow angels, snowmen, snow days, snow ploughs; things he's read about in children's books from the other half of the world.

On the hill I felt almost violently protective of him, in the intense cold and the constant likelihood of one or both of us falling over and getting very wet and filthy, but also in the wake of the rude shock he received from the cold water, and the sensation of instant and deep calamity which visited him when he realised his entire shoe was wet. I wanted him to disregard it and enjoy the rare and magical surprise of snow, but I also felt how his foot must feel so disastrously cold, and how he must be afraid that something is ruined and can't be fixed. There are events in one's life as a parent that bring you hard up against feelings you had when you were small yourself and something happened that you couldn't handle. The difference is that if you are lucky, you have somehow learnt, in the intervening years, that you will actually be okay, despite everything. In conveying this to your own child you can convey it to yourself when young, too.

3 comments:

elaine said...

We had the snow at home and had half an hour of fun scooping snow off the car and ground, throwing snowballs and slipping around on the slushy/snowy grass.

When S came in he was so distressed about how cold his hands were and cried and cried when trying to warm them up because he was convinced his hands would never be warm again.

It was quite distressing to *me* to know what the correct response should be. Poor wee tyke has a propensity to his father's anxiety and striking the balance between not pandering to catastrophising, not pandering to his father's approach to his anxiety and helping him warm up whilst not making him hate snow because of this distressing moment was awful.

lucy tartan said...

Elaine do you remember Kate H - Antipodean Kate - I hope you know each other because you're both great. Anyhow, Kate and her family moved to Canada a good few years ago now, and they do a lot of hiking and camping, and it's spectacular and elemental and the children are having a wonderful childhood, and I'm amazed by the load Kate must be carrying in containing her kids' reactions to being cold and wet and tired. It's hard enough in our mostly comparatively temperate climate. That said I guess they have gloves in Canada.

Helen Balcony said...

He's lucky to have you.