Thursday 24 May 2018

the rest

The networks were down until 4pm today.

 

The rest of the search keywords are a bit curious. I'm still wondering about how this specific combination of things about my life came to be the things that animated somebody's curiosity. I'm not wondering in a cross way. I think that must be apparent from what I wrote yesterday. This morning, after the computers shat themselves and before the stack of puzzle boxes came out (oh yes, there's a stack of them now) I was wandering around the building and thinking about what I'd written and about what I might write now. Ultimately it feels like I received an invitation to write about things I haven't written about directly and that invitation is welcome - I am aware that invitations to write, to think, to reflect, to articulate are rare and as far as possible should be received with respect and honest good faith.  I also was pleased to have an occasion to reread the post I wrote last year about going back to work and accidentally showing the students the birth photos. That's the nucleus of an alright piece of writing there and I think I'll see if I can get someone interested in publishing it.

brunswick

That said, I don't have much to say to 'Brunswick'. This is the neighbourhood to the west of where I live, and it's got Sydney Road in it, and therefore A1 Bakery, but otherwise it's not really of great interest to me. Some of my friends live there. I don't wish to see it obliterated with an atomic bomb or anything like that.

sold house

My husband and I bought a house in Montmorency at the end of 2006 and lived there happily enough for several years. It wasn't big enough for a family of three, which could have been rectified, but by the time we sold it in the middle of 2012 I had learned enough about the community there to know I didn't want to bring up a child in that environment. This was a key and emblematic episode in the sad acquisition of that knowledge. It wasn't only the horrific incident described in that story, it was very much also the things that a small group of men whom I knew very slightly from the community said to me about it, on different occasions, at the RSL, in the main street, on the train, about the Aboriginality of the girl involved, and about what kind of person she was, about what good kids the boys were and how bad it would be to ruin their lives over this thing.

The community where Lenny is growing up now has its flaws all right - chiefly smugness and complacency - but that's a big step up from open racism and misogyny, and the rest.

renting

Before Montmorency we lived for some years in this rented house in Rosanna. Before that we lived in this flat in St Kilda, before that, it was this one, and before that, the ground floor flat in the same building. Before that I lived here, and before that I lived here, and before that, here, and before that a couple of shorter term addresses that I don't remember.  Golly, what a rabbit hole to fall into.


east brunswick

Look, even though the kinder and the tram route both have it as 'East Brunswick', and they have some standing as authoritative sources, I really think it's called Brunswick East. I have lived here since 2012 and I expect to be living here at least until Leonard finishes primary school. It's as good as anywhere else.

2011
psychiatric

tomorrow

No comments: