Monday 5 February 2018

Privacy

In a few days' time I will change the privacy settings on this blog and it will only be available to invited readers. If you would like to continue reading please say so in a comment on this post. You will need to provide an email address to receive an invitation. I've turned on comment moderation again and I will not be publishing any comments on this post, so nobody will see your request but me. 

I don't plan on making any earth-shattering disclosures, but I am entering into a very vulnerable time, and I've decided that I need to feel able write about what's happening to me in an emotionally honest way, and also to feel secure in knowing something of who's receiving my communications. I'm quite sorry to be making this change. All the years I've had this blog, I've believed that it has some marginal claim to integrity and it's somehow connected to its public existence. I am also a little sad to be in effect requiring you, dear reader, to show your hand. I liked and valued the tacit and hands-off nature of the relationship: I write, you read, we're both free to do what we like. That said, I'm not apologising for a second that I'm altering the rules of (non)engagement here. It's my blog and my life and you may take it or leave it.

If you and I know each other, and/or if you've been reading and commenting here for a long time, and you ask for an invitation, I'll send you one, even if we're not speaking any more. If you think I don't know anything about who you are 'in real life', please just tell me a few things about yourself. If you don't take up this invitation, I thank you for your interest in my writing, it's meant something to me, and I hope oh so much that I'll feel differently before too much time passes, so perhaps I'll be back again.  x

No comments: