Friday 16 September 2005

one dogfree hour in 24....

is all I can provide for poor unhappy little Baz at the moment. Oh, I'm a bad parent.

Dorian's mother and father are overseas at the moment and we are looking after their dog Billy. The animals don't get along. Billy runs up and down and up and down and squeals and barks and snuffles and yoicks at the cat - who sits hunched and deathly still. There is much evil-eyeing. The dogs seems terrified of the cat, but also quite curious about how the cat might taste.





The dog is a bit cute. A little, little bit.



The cat emphatically doesn't think so, however.

I came home early this afternoon to take the dog out for a long run (that being the only hour to himself which poor little Baz will get today). And now the dog is exhausted and has gone to sleep on the chair behind me, but Basil is outside perched on the roof bitching and moaning. If I get up, the dog will wake up and follow me outside. He likes to follow. In fact, what with the waking up before dawn, the barking in the night, the smelliness, and the constant "play with me, play with me, PLAY WITH ME," I'm getting an inkling of what having children must be like....

6 comments:

lucy tartan said...

Oh, thanks, that makes me feel more optimistic.

Anonymous said...

I am channelling dog Coco:

A dog will eventually learn to fear the scimitar claws of a cat that attacks!!!!!

My scars remain forever.

- barista

The cat, btw, that bashed up my dog eventually went over the fence and tried to bash up the Mighty Train.

Phantom Scribbler said...

Oh yes indeedy, that is exactly what having children is like.

Ampersand Duck said...

Ahh, now you know why we got rid of (ie passed on to parents) Lucky, our dog. Looked just like Basil with long legs. Obsequious, energetic and unable to live without company. Very much like other people's children. Cats are better by far.

lucy tartan said...

I'm not too fond of the barking in the middle of the night, neither.

genevieve said...

I've had children, one was the doggiest little boy that never got a dog. He's sixteen now and he still doesn't have one. His mother cannot bear the thought of leaving the dog at home when she has to get out of the joint from time to time. Go figure. The dog we (i) do not want is just like Billy.