Saturday 23 February 2019

dotttttttttt pointttttttts


  • it's 4am, my alarm will go off at 5:30am and then I will get up and go to Adelaide to see Tracy's show. I am traveling with another friend, a person I really like and enjoy but I don't know whether she will like me very much after we've done sixteen hours shared travel and two nights sharing a hotel room. It wasn't until yesterday that it fully dawned on me just how many of the people I care about are gathering in Adelaide this weekend. It's going to be good. But demanding
  • Brightest full moon for many months on Tuesday night. So good. I got off my tram two stops early and walked home down the relatively dark middle streets. Naturally I tried to photograph the moon, but that is one thing a phone camera can't do and I never seem to learn this. But the important thing is that I enjoyed that walk in the moonlight. It was kind of chilly and there were no people about, but many overexcited animals. I listened to music, walked, and I looked at the rooftops and the trees silhouetted against the shining sky, and it was a private experience of repose and tranquillity 
  • I had a doctor's appointment today and drove to it in the car, and I found that I could not park my car in the bike rack outside the clinic. So I had to park it in the Mediterranean Wholesalers customer car park. After seeing the doctor (who told me I am looking pale, I said, well that's good right, it means I'm not going to get skin cancer, and she said, Oh no, it doesn't mean that) I thought I had better not give the signs of the Mediterranean Wholesalers customer car park any pretext to make good on their unveiled but unspecific threats, and go in there and be a customer. So I went inside and sniffed half a dozen or so bars of soap, and then I had a coffee and a slice of cherry clafoutis in their cafe. And now I tell you why I have related to you that whole backstory, for while it is, almost unquestionably, good in itself, its primary function is to contextualise this next piece of information. The woman who made my coffee gave me the most beautiful, beautiful smile as she poured milk from a steel jug into the cup. It was so lovely, and so real, that I was sure the coffee would be horrible. But it was fine  
  • I drove to Carlton this afternoon and beside me in traffic there was a horse float with a horse inside. This horse kept kicking something, or stomping on something, and each time it sounded like a small bomb being detonated under water. I caught a series of glimpses of the horse's face, which was wrapped in a close-fitting garment with eyeholes
  • Yesterday morning I saw a different horse float parked in Cross St across from the bowls club. Somebody had taped a piece of cardboard to this other, chronologically prior though less interesting horse float, and on the cardboard was written a request to move the horse float because these parking spaces are for Cross St. Council has been notified
  • I got new glasses and obviously this is the most interesting and important thing that has happened in the world in the past week. It is the first new prescription I've had for many years and it is only mildly different. It does not look like it in this photograph (I do try to smile, you know) but I am very pleased indeed because it is no small thing, being able to see the expressions on the faces of people standing on the footpath on the other side of the street, and also, now the degree of correction my eyes require is the same on both sides. This means I can wear my glasses upside down if I want to, and I feel reasonably confident that I shall want to
no makeup, and 46, sorry


  • Workplace afternoon tea, clockwise from top: pawpaw, blackberries, salt and vinegar chips, Strawberry and pistachio almond cookies, one Arnotts Shortbread Cream left over from previous day's afternoon tea (not shown), passionfruit sponge, apricot danishes and lemon meringue tart, tim tams













4 comments:

ernmalleyscat said...

I've always wondered whether the 'caution horses' sign on floats is directed at the horses or the bystanders. I also think it would make a good band name.
Are those strawberry and pistachio almond cookies a variation on the pasticcini done with almond meal, icing sugar and egg? They look terrific.

jc said...

EMCat, you are correct, there WAS a Canberra band called Caution Horses, and it was a good name.

ernmalleyscat said...

ooh thank you for that jc. I'm sorry I never saw them now.

Fyodor said...

"Because of the time difference it is still Friday in Adelaide..."

Heh! A Friday in 1994, perhaps.