Saturday 16 June 2018

Saturday

My day began and ended with friends, with a long section in the middle spent doing nothing much but enjoying the hell out of hanging out with Lenny.

I had almost no sleep last night and I'm completely wrecked now, but the day has gone smoothly and well and I have enjoyed it very much. And I appreciate that it has been the people I spent it with that made it a good day. This is how it's been for a while, on weekends in particular; I need the help of my friends to be cheerful and I am in fact so thoroughly dependent on this help that I don't even feel bad about it. I can see, and I'm deeply grateful for, the significant investments of time and effort I am requiring from them, but at the same time, it's just that, a requirement. I am needing this specific kind of help and support. I'll repay it all with pleasure when I am able. But for now, I can't do without it and I can't do it for myself. 

I went to the bakery for breakfast and spent a very nice couple of hours there soaking up the waves of human excellence emanating from V, who has had a big birthday, her partner S who has been overseas for a long time, and several of their friends. Then I went home, left my bike, and took a tram into the city where I got Lenny from where he was with his father and I took him to work with me. I had to do a couple of things that could not wait or be done at home. Leonard sat next to me and drew a picture and at a mandarine and drank a glass of milk. He was mightily thrilled by all this, so much so that I will try to find a suitable day to bring him in to work with me during the school holidays. Just between us, I don't intend to ask permission in advance. I'll just bring him in and see what happens.



If you don't work here I guess you wouldn't recognise how very unusual-looking is this dispersal of people across the forecourt. It turned out that the pokemon-hunting craze is on again. Once I learned this I understood why several sites in the city had been heaving with people as I passed them.

Then I took Len to the NGV. He wanted to go there. This is a model of Nicholson St Brunswick East one year from now which I constructed out of blocks in the lame-o children's gallery they've set up to reinforce to kids that New York is an infinitley more interesting and significant city than the irrelevant one in which they live and walk and play right now.






By now, these days I spend with Len have a very familiar feel to them. We check out one or tow cultural institutions, we do a bit of shopping, we roam around in some hidden corners of the city, and we eat lunch in a Japanese cafe in Swanston St. Len felt the need for a little lie down on the windowsill of the Telstra building and I was glad to oblige.


I bought him a pair of fluffy gloves that he asked me if he could have.


I took Len home then set off again, this time to K's milestone birthday dinner with her really lovely crew of friends - all women - at a kind of nice pub in North Melbourne. Getting off the Elizabeth St tram I looked at an apartment building on the other side of the road and thought, like I often do when I see a lighted window and glimpses of somebody's home, how much I would like to live in there or a place exactly like there.

  


Pub toilet.

Home by 10:30, now fighting off sleep, long enough I hope to be able to get out of bed and brush my teeth.


No comments: