Wednesday, 11 November 2009

let the little blog live

(update - I only just realised the image below wasn't displaying. It's fixed now.)

Alright. Only eight days later. (Stephanie in comments was right - I didforget about marking the essays, all sixty x 3500 of them, plus the 3 x 12,000 ones. I did not however forget about the two unfinished articles, the one unbegun conference paper, or the four-day summer school I'm conducting the week after next.) I'm a bit rusty at this and I can see it's going to take me a while to warm up again. In the interests of doing so perhaps some random dot point commemoration of what happened during the extended lost weekend is in order:

* I did a better job than I knew picking the reading list for the Women Writing subject, which turned out to be an absolute joy to do, the few really hair-raising moments aside, and even though marking essays isn't fun, ever, it's been so good to see person after person writing wonderful things. An essay I marked last night finished with, among other things, the observation that the Doris Lessing novel we read was a work of 'extreme beauty' - and the writer wasn't just throwing that in there, she'd earned the right to that observation by the painstaking and patient reading she'd worked her way through. However, I am very glad that teaching is done for three months.

* The cats are well.

* Dorian bought a double bass and he plays it all the time.

* I gave a conference paper about the Jane Austen dressing up and dancing thing and as a result of the paper I am now going to write a book about it. There is a commission from a very good editor and publisher. I am incredibly overexcited about this work. I'm also happy because it means I'm a bit more likely to eventually get some kind of ongoing job. It also means research trips to Jane Austen beanos in various places: I'm thinking Canberra again and Bath again next year, and then, if I can manage it, California and Florence the year after. Sounds dreadful doesn't it. Also, inevitably, this will mean a great many more frocks about which I will of course keep you far too well informed at every possible opportunity.

* Our apple trees have got little apples on them, which is weird. Last week I ate the first piece of edible fruit from our garden - a mandarine. Verdict: not quite ready. But promising.

* I am considering throwing a Christmas party in my 2m x 3.5m office along the lines of the housewarming Jemaine in Flight of the Conchords had when he moved into a storage cupboard.

* This was the scene at a huge rockabilly dance we went to a few weeks ago. I didn't mind.

16 comments:

Ann oDyne said...

Great to see you again.
My pal Normblog.typepad.com/ is next to you in my feed list and he mentions JA also:
'For normblog readers of Janeite inclination, here's a review of an exhibition at the the Morgan Library & Museum in New York. Edward Rothstein writes about what is on display at 'A Woman's Wit: Jane Austen's Life and Legacy' to help one try to decipher the ever-elusive genius that was Jane Austen.'

BwcaBrownie said...

AOD is sillier than Mrs Bennet - here's the link and it's worth the clickthrough.

Stephanie Trigg said...

This is extremely exciting news about the book, I must say. Congratulations to you!!

M-H said...

What wonderful news about the book. Adding congratulations.

Zoe said...

Yay for books! And trips to Canberra - this time we will make it to the tip shop for sure.

lucy tartan said...

Thankyou!

Counting down the sleeps until the tip shop, Z.

Penthe said...

Frocks! Dancing! Book!

Bernice said...

Congrats re the book - hope it has a good distributor in Aust? ;-)

Mel said...

Congratulations on the book! Also, are you sure it was a rockabilly dance and not an Elvis impersonator convention?

JahTeh said...

Frocks!
I have just the book for you, Ackermann's Costume Plates, Women's Fashions in England,1818-1828.

And as a welcome back, I just missed Bazlotto by one.

Pavlov's Cat said...

The Elvises! The Elvises!

I look forward to reading the book v much.

lucy tartan said...

It was definitely a general rockabilly dance, there were only five Elvises. In this picture they all happened to be in the bar queue, as was I.

Meredith said...

Tip shop, oooh. Did you dance at the dance?

Ampersand Duck said...

My goodness, a double bass. The vibrations through the house must be marvellous. Much nicer than a violin...

Yay for book! And for the tip shop! Count me in!

dogpossum said...

I think often of your cats. Mostly Baz, though.

Helen said...

We had been eating fruit from our garden - the Moorpark apricot, which was unparallelled in its lusciousness. It was eight years old.

The heatwave just before Black saturday fried every leaf and killed it in one day.

Stands to reason, I suppose, that a tree variety mentioned in Mansfield Park won't stand up to Oz summer conditions.

I'm tossing up whether to try again and use netting every summer; those apricots were so good.