Wednesday 14 May 2008

Reading Log three

This week I finished Alias Grace again and liked it again, I even went to the trouble of writing half a dozen paragraphs working out whether an idea I had about Grace's regular strategic deferrals to God's power was worth pursuing in a more deliberate way, decided it wasn't, but finished up with a renewed appreciation of the novel.

For essay marking purposes I reread a couple of short modernist novels, Djuna Barnes's Nightwood, Passing by Nella Larsen, and I reread the two middle sections of The Sound and the Fury, immediately regretting not beginning at the beginning and reading it all the way through. I just didn't have time. But, it was interesting to see that for all that the novel is supposed to be fragmented and elisory and nonlinear, mucking up the linearity of the reader's engagement with it has a pretty unfortunate effect.

I think that was all for this week... plans for the Austen paraliterature perhaps-project go on as before. I'm having a pretty hard time holding back from buying the Pride and Prejudice fanfic bookmarked in my blog sidebar there. It's P&P retold by Mr Darcy's spaniel, Reggie.

No comments: