Monday 29 May 2006

Sarsaparilla

I haven't posted much here this week because in my spare time I've been setting up a lovely big surprise - a shiny new group blog, all-Australian, all books, media, and culture. It's called Sarsaparilla and the url is http://sarsaparillablog.net . As I've said over there, our subject matter is more or less like arts journal stuff, but we aren't out to replace print media - we see no reason to suppress the personal, ephemeral, bloggy stuff that we all enjoy writing and reading. Though the blog is less than twelve hours old it's already got a handful of excellent posts up, and you should really go over there, have a dig around, make a comment or two, and if you are looking for something cheerful to post on your own blog today, may I humbly suggest a little ole plugarama?? Go on. I don't ask much of you in general, do I?

From my point of view one of the many excellent things about having a blog like Sarsaparilla about is that I will no longer feel constrained to write half-sensible posts about books and movies here at Sills Bend and can turn it over entirely to fluffy dancing baby animals, food, Ken Russell, perfectly good stuff dug out of bins, the price of things, etc. Hooray!

(ps: I can't figure out why the blogroll displays in a different random order each tim eth epage is called - any experienced wordpress users got ideas?)

12 comments:

Ampersand Duck said...

We need to all have a glass of champagne at the same time tonight... although mine will be Maison :(

Well done you.

Anonymous said...

The random blogroll thing shouldn't happen by accident (it's not a default). Unless a plugin is changing it, the function/"template tag" generating the list is probably being given a 'rand' or 'orderby=rand' parameter. Look for `get_links` or `wp_get_links` in sidebar.php or index.php in the theme.

lucy tartan said...

i don't see a links template tag in index.php - the one in sidebar.php is:
anglebracket ?php get_links_list(); ? anglebracket

I guess there should be something between the brackets to control the list order....

lucy tartan said...

There is a randomising plugin associated with the sidebar but it relates to the images in the far right column. Could that be the cause of it? Nothing else is randomming.

Anonymous said...

Hurrah for a drink at evening - I've almost finished reading The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne, thank God that grenache is in the fridgermarator. Thanks again LT.

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

Here in Adders we're half an hour behind -- the story of my life. The upside is that the local wines are celestial. Give me a time and I'll adjust it, and crack open a random bottle.

Laura, you're brilliant. I am filled with awe.

Zoe said...

Does it have bazlotto though?

Georg Hibberd said...

Laura, I tried to put a number of things in the empty brackets of that piece of php last night. Had absolutely no luck. I didn't break the sidebar but I didn't fix it either. (And you thought I knew what I was talking about...)

Champers all round this evening ladies and gents. A toast to Laura.

Drewzel said...

Hooray for Sarsaparilla!
And bring on more fuzzy kittens, found street furniture, Ken Russell, HANDBAGS, and observation in general.
And I've won Bazlotto TWICE recently!

Anonymous said...

and speaking of Ken Russell, how can I impress people with my understanding of the symbolism in Tommy if you don't finish explaining it all?

Boris

Anonymous said...

Did my plugarama! Does this mean I can now look forward to a continuation of the analysis of Tommy? :-)

JahTeh said...

Congrats to you and congrats to me, Baslotto at last.