Monday 13 June 2005

Local Blog for Local People

Dorian and I have started a blog project together, here. At the moment it is just getting off the ground, but its main focus will be on documenting and discussing things to do with our local municipality, especially the community arts festival that is coming up in July. So for the next month or so we will be fairly randomly filling it out, but after that, in July, it will really kick off. (Our local council has given us some funding to help pay for flyers and tickets and associated expenses.) I'm hoping that we can get the local papers interested in the idea, and hopefully that will lead to people who are absolutely new to the blogging world getting along to check it out: the ultimate aim of the project is to introduce blogging to a new audience that's already predisposed to be interested in community matters.

To that end I've set up the beginnings of a Melbourne blogroll in the sidebar of our new blog. It IS only a beginning: if you know of a blog that should be on there but isn't, your own blog especially, please let me know and I'll add it to the list. There are a few blogs I've not added yet because I would not want to inadvertently "out" people as being located in Melbourne if they don't wish that to be apparent.

11 comments:

Guruann said...

I'm a melbourne blogger

lucy tartan said...

I thought I had you already GuruAnn - thanks for bringing that to my attention!

boynton said...

I'm a Melbourne blogger.

New blog looks good.

Yankee, Transferred said...

My daugter is in Australia right now! Sydney, but will be in Melbourne next week.

lucy tartan said...

oh gah! I forgot, there are blogs I haven't b'rolled becasue I'm not sure if they are Melbourne jobs or not.

Also forgot to say both D & I are wearing wigs on the other blog, you might not recognise up straight off.

Yankee, I hope your daughter has a great time here. We will take good care of her for you.

Scrivener said...

Hey, I noticed one Melbourne blogger who's missing straight off. What's the exact title? Something about sadness and bending. No, it was Bending Sorrowful Sills, right?

jac said...

I'm a Melbourne blogger!

... but I confess I had never heard of Banyule until you brought it to my attention. I found Clematis all by myself though!

lucy tartan said...

Banyule now, st Kilda in days past.

Anonymous said...

We're a Yarra blogger via Moreland, soon to go Darebin in low earth orbit.

Anonymous said...

i'm a melbourne blogger.
and i go to banyule quite regularly for family things (The Squeeze's parents live out there). site looks neat, btw.

Anonymous said...

You could have a look at I love St Kilda.

I think this local blogging thing is just great, because in some ways a bit of the blogosphere wants to be really really local.

And besides, it is very easy to have coffee with fellow bloggers..

I wish there was more of it in St Kilda, because my blogging obsession still makes a lot of people's eyes glaze over.. and I mean obsession... and I mean glaze.

- barista